Saint FM has disclosed details of its contract to provide information and media services to St Helena Government (SHG), in response to a government statement on its decision to switch its advertising to the state-funded St Helena Broadcasting (Guarantee) Corporation.
THIS AGREEMENT is made on 3rd day of February 2011, BETWEEN:
(1) The Chief Secretary of Saint Helena, acting on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Her Government of Saint Helena (hereinafter called “the Government”) and
(2) Saint Helena Media Productions Ltd (hereinafter called “Saint FM”) (together hereinafter referred to as “The Parties”)
WHEREBY IT IS AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
1. Saint FM will provide a platform for the following programmes through the medium of the broadcasting station known as “Saint FM”.
a) Standby Services – From time to time the St Helena emergency services require the transmission of urgent information and public safety information to the public. Saint FM guarantees to provide a ‘24/7’ service (that is, a service which will be available for the whole of every day) with a maximum time of mobilisation of 5 minutes in case any emergency on the Island. No additional charge will be applicable when the service is utilised.
b) Public Information Purposes – Saint FM will be available to government departments & Councillors for public information purposes and promotional campaigns (eg health issues, Public Meetings, and crime prevention ) of non-commercial nature for up to a total of five hours (in addition to time provided under paragraph (a) in any period of seven consecutive days.
c) Contact with Diaspora – It is agreed that Saint FM output will be accessible to the Diaspora as at present.
2. In consideration of the provision of the services specified in 1 above, the Government will pay to Saint FM the sum of £1,500 (One thousand and five hundred pounds) per month for the period of this agreement, PROVIDED THAT The Government reserves the right to withhold payment for the whole or any part of the monthly amount in the event that any of the services are not readily available or provided.
3. Saint FM acknowledges the statutory right of the Government, under section 43 of the Financial management Ordinance, to set off any money owed by Saint FM to the Government against sums payable to Saint FM by the Government, whether under this agreement or otherwise.
4. Saint FM shall deliver invoices to the Office of the Chief Secretary by the 7th day of each month for services rendered during the previous month. Payment to Saint FM shall, subject to clauses 2 and 3, be arranged as soon as practicable and in any event not more than ten days after receipt of the invoice.
5. This agreement may be terminated at any time by either party giving one month’s notice in writing to the other: but in the event of such termination any service provided prior to the termination will be paid for pro rota.
6. This agreement be deemed to have come into effect on 1 January 2011, and (subject to clause 5) will continue until 31 March 2011, conditional on Saint FM holding a valid broadcasting license throughout this period.
Signed on behalf of St Helena Government
By Gillian Francis and Mike Olsson
This agreement was subsequently extended until 31st March 2012.